Alabama DUI Attorney
Protect Your License and Future
If you or someone close to you has been charged with a DUI in Alabama, it is important that you work with an experienced DUI defense lawyer right away to ensure the best result. At Brunson, Barnett & Sherrer, we start by providing a free initial consultation either over the phone or in one of our conveniently located offices. We will help you understand how Alabama DUI laws apply to your situation, and how we can best defend your case.
6 Steps to take immediately if you get stopped for a DUI
- DO NOT submit to roadsides or “field” breath test. These are absolutely voluntary tests that are unreliable and their only purpose is to provide the police officer with evidence that you are impaired
- DO NOT admit that you had been drinking or try to explain that you’re ok to drive. The cop doesn’t care and will only use your statements against you.
- DO be courteous and polite – getting upset, angry, or arguing with the officer only provides evidence of impairment.
- DO NOT make any statements to the police officer, regardless of how nice they may seem or if they say they only want to understand what happened.
- DO immediately request a hearing with the Division of Motor Vehicles as soon as you are released from custody. You only have 7 days to request a hearing or you will lose you right to contest the revocation of your driver’s license.
- DO immediately contact an experienced, local DUI attorney to discuss your situation and obtain further advice on what you may or may not need to do. Only a criminal defense attorney with specific experience and knowledge of DUI cases can competently review your case and offer sound advice. Brunson, Barnett & Sherrer has been providing DUI defense and criminal lawyer services for over twenty years and offers free telephone consultations.